Saturday, January 28, 2012

What's in a name?

I once made a cigar named Grimalkin. I named it this for a variety of reasons, not least among which was that it was a really cool name I'd discovered years ago, and just wanted to use for something. Today it changes.

I settled on this name for the cigar because the person it was named for enchanted me, and I used the theme of the eyes because those did as well. But I was always a bit uncomfortable about what subsequent line extensions would be called, and could never quite pull the whole theme together, despite my best efforts. My rather crude attempts to express this with the band drew criticism in the marketplace.... and I listened.

A few weeks ago an opportunity presented itself to rethink the whole line, and in the end this proved to be a blessing, as the new name fits magically.

The new name is La Musa by Emilio Cigars. Why? Because much as the muses were inspirational to the ancient Greeks  the person to whom this line of cigars is dedicated inspires me in a multitude of ways.

The blend remains the same. The factory remains the same.

Beyond that, there are a whole array of reasons I could give as to why this happened, but those really don't matter. What matters most is that this line of cigars continues to exist, and serve the purpose for which it was intended ; to be an exquisite representation of the art of cigar making, and to enable a lovely young friend to achieve her dreams.

The box shape will remain unchanged, but we've added a few things to give it more eye appeal. The new band has a Greek theme in keeping with the origin of the muses. The original Grimalkin cigar will now be known simply as "La Musa."  The additional 3 forthcoming blends in this line, all produced in the same factory, will be named after the 3 Plutarchian muses - Melete, Aoide, and Mneme.  The first of these will be released at IPCPR this summer.

As to why this was necessary at all I know there has been a lot of speculation, and none of that really matters because I've decided to make this change, and it's not a debatable subject.

OK life, throw me another curve ball. I've always got the bat in my hand, and I'm ready to swing for the fences again.



4 comments:

  1. Very cool Gary! No matter what you name them, the quality of the cigars you have been creating I find simply amazing. Keep them coming, the wild ride is just beginning! #RockstarVampire Rules!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gary no matter what curve ball gets thrown; you'll hit out of the green mile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the new names, great concept, Gary.

    Even better cigar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gary,

    The new changes are beautiful and I look forward to all of your future contributions to this industry.

    All the best!

    Zak

    ReplyDelete