Thursday, March 8, 2012

And Promises To Keep

I awoke early again this morning, as has been my habit far too often of late, and in stepping out onto the patio was bathed in the glow of a glorious full moon, set against the backdrop of a cloudless, starry sky. In that moment it struck me that over these last several years all my life-changing moments have occurred at the time when the moon was brightest. Certainly the scientist in me sees this as little more than coincidence, but still, it gives me pause to reflect.

Years ago, in the depths of an illness that so physically and emotionally drained me I had all but given up hope, I made my first trip to Nicaragua and met A.J. Fernandez. In the instant after he praised my knowledge and passion for the cigar industry, my mind racing in anticipation of the future, I chose to fight, and live, and to craft the very best cigars I could. On the flight home, gazing at the full moon out the window of the airplane, I promised myself that I would never let this dream die. And I never will.

As time passed, and I began building the blends and fleshing out the concepts that would later give rise to the brand now known as Emilio Cigars, I neglected much in my obsession with this project. Consumed by my passion I arose early one Sunday morning, and in the light of a full moon drove to my office. Mid morning, my work complete, I returned home to discover that this lack of balance had cost me the love of my life, and promised myself that in future I would be more careful with what is precious.

Two years ago, as we were preparing for our first cigar releases, I was involved in a terrible accident, and stood in the middle of the road staring up again at the full moon. That was my moment of epiphany. It was driven home to me in a tragic way that I had jeopardized not only myself, but the welfare of those to whom I had promised much, and vowed to never again break those pacts.

This morning as I sit reflecting on how far we've come, and on the additional promises I've made, I commit myself again to keeping them.

My promise to our retailers and staff is that we will be the very best we can be for you, within the limits of what we can accomplish as a small manufacturer.  But your expectations must be realistic as well. We cannot give what we have yet to possess, and we cannot be all things to everyone. We must simply be the very best we can.

My promise to my children is that I will find time for that balance, giving you all the love and care that is in me, with the understanding that in all the chaos that is life that may not always be at the time and place when it best suits you. Still, I promise my best.

My promise to those few dear friends who have seen me through these years of turmoil and triumph is that I will never, never abandon or neglect you. I will accept you as you are and allow you to grow, and blossom, and support you in all the ways I have pledged. I will also do my best to guide you, and protect you from losing that careful balance that will bring you a happy and fulfilling life in the long run. I will lift you when you fall, cheer you when you succeed, and patiently wait for you to keep your own promises.

And now to work, for I have promises to keep, the moon is full, and I can feel the tide of change welling up within me.


1 comment:

  1. Very inspirational Gary. Thank you for sharing, not only this, but your knowledge and the fine products you have developed.

    ReplyDelete