Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Process vs. Results

"We don't do it that way" and "We don't do it that way" can be two different things.

Confused? So are many people.

When you tell me you don't do it that way because you've just never done it that way you're telling me you're too invested in your process to look for better results. Having the same daily routine yields the same daily results. You're letting your process drive your life, and you've relinquished control of your future.

When I tell you I don't do it that way, I mean I don't let processes dictate what my maximum achievable results are. I decide what the results are that I want, and develop a strategy to achieve them. I don't let time of day dictate which tasks I'm focused on.

Two different things. Exact same sentence.






3 comments:

  1. I think it depends on whether you are talking from the perspective of a strategic leader challenged to innovate or a manufacturing operations manager tasked with consistently producing in an efficient manner.

    Innovation can happen within the constraints of process rigor, in fact without rigorous process sustainable improvement is almost impossible because it is sporadically delivered.

    Yes, process improvement must be continuous and inherent in the organization's culture, but process must first be measurable, repeatable and sustainable for an organization to produce results.

    How you take inventory, how you price product, how you handle cash...these tasks and others like them require process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Skip that process is needed, but if process exists solely for its own purpose, and without being invested in outcome, the process has failed. That's my point. If the process is derived from a desired outcome it has value. If the process is solely a function of comfort it fails.

    400 feet deep and a valve fails I don't want to be with the guy who doesn't respond to all the factors that have just erupted and just does what he did last time when a different valve failed.

    ReplyDelete