Sunday, November 25, 2012

Butternut Squash Breakfast Frittata

This is a first for me as far as publishing a recipe, and this one is hardly original. I was rooting for eggs in the refrigerator this morning, fully intending to just make scrambled eggs for a late breakfast, when I realized there was some mashed butternut squash left from Thanksgiving. I thought "Google is my friend" and typed in butternut squash breakfast recipe. Lo and behold there were several, and I settled on this one.

squash breakfast frittata recipe
I've never been one to follow a recipe exactly, and I didn't in this case. I just took a quick look through, got the basic idea (which is quite simple), and tossed it together.

In a nutshell: I covered the bottom of a greased baking dish with the mashed butternut squash. I then combined 4 eggs with a bit of milk and whisked them until frothy, and poured this mixture over the squash. Next step: sprinkle with a bit of pepper, and dropped the leftover cheese chunks from our snack tray evenly over the surface. There were 4 leftover cherry tomatoes in a salad that seemed as though they would be happy to be atop the frittata, so I tossed those on .

Last step: bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes. Let it cool for a few so it would become firm, and voila! Breakfast. I served this with a plate of mango slices on the side. Quite a good meal, and a great way to use up leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment