Monday, June 11, 2012

America's Most Unique Cigar Shop?

emilio cigars
Every once in a while you just walk into a place and think "this is amazing." That was the case for me this past weekend when I arrived at the Leaf and Bean cigar shop in the strip district of Pittsburgh, PA. From the first moment I finally met Jim Robinson, the owner and head throwback, I knew we were going to get along just fine.

We'd corresponded on and off for several months via Facebook, and I knew going in that Jim was a unique man, but I have to tell you he and his shop are so distinctly unique, and I was so impressed, that nothing could prevent me from pouring out a huge batch of high praise the moment I returned home.

My first thought when I stepped through the entrance was "La Musa would love this place." It is so creatively festooned with relics of times gone by that one could get lost in hours of thought and remembrance. I'll need a crowbar to get her out of here if I ever get her to visit.

The walk-in humidor is well supplied with just the right product mix. There is something to appeal to every taste, and the staff are helpful and eager to please. They don't just sit at the front counter waiting to take your money. They actively engage everyone who walks in, probing with questions to assure they make just the right recommendation. In short, they really "get it."

Originally I was scheduled for about a 4 to 5 hour appearance on Friday, but the place is so fun that when 11pm rolled around I found myself still having a blast, and we finally decided to head out at about 2am the following morning. I could have stayed forever. This place not only has character, it is so full of interesting characters that one could easily spend a lifetime making new friends and listening to their stories.

I'd almost be willing to bet this is the most unique cigar shop in America. I've never seen or experienced anything like it, and I'd be hard pressed to imagine I ever will again, unless I return, which I most certainly will.

On Saturday afternoon we returned and I had the pleasure of listening to, and spending some time with, Tom Breiding, an incredibly talented singer and songwriter.

Each Saturday afternoon "The Bean" hosts live music, and I was fortunate enough to be there when Tom was playing. I was so struck by the passion in his music that, having bought his "Time to Roll" CD I listened to it on repeat play all the way home.

Find his stuff and buy it. This guy is so full of talent I don't have enough words to describe him.

In closing, I'd like to thank my dear friends Peter and Regina Dapas for hosting my visit. It was so good to see them again, and I look forward to returning soon. There is nothing better than time well spent with people who are worth loving.

2 comments:

  1. I totally agree!! Jim's place is a different kind of cool!! Love this joint!! Sean Williiams

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've always got a place to stay whenever you visit my friend. We hope to meet La Musa next trip. Till then we'll keep a light on for ya.

    ReplyDelete